Monday, December 2, 2013

health in their navels and marrow to their bones

So this week...
I'll just give a few of the highlights.
So on thanksgiving we first at with some of the people we've been teaching (Eli's family). It was really good. Earlier on in the week they had planned just to be eating normal thanksgiving dinner because they didn't have any money but this lady at their work gave them some money to have a dinner. It was really good. It was all of the usual Thanksgiving foods with a little mexican style to them. (very good). Later we ate with some members--the Hunter's (I think Sister Hunter called you [mom], she's awesome, she made the yams with your recipe I guess and they were really good!). Ya those dinners were back to back so we got pretty full. 
I also need to give y'all an update on Zach. Man, that guy is awesome! we had a lesson with him on Saturday morning and we taught him the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity. When we started teaching him the word of wisdom I asked, "so have you heard of this principle before?" and he answered, "Oh, yeah. Actually I've been living the word of wisdom for about a year now. I used to smoke a few years ago and my girlfriend suggested to live it and so I did and I even stopped drinking caffeine." We were pretty surprised. We then read through the blessings in the Doctrine and Covenants, "And all saints who remember to keep and do these sayings, walking in obedience to the commandments shall receive health in their navels and marrow to their bones," and Zach said, "oh yeah I've seen that for sure," then we'd continue, "and shall find wisdom and great treasures of knowledge, even hidden treasures;" "Oh I've definitely seen that as well." "and shall run and not be weary, and shall walk and not faint," "yep", "and I, the Lord, give unto them a promise, that the destroying angel shall pass by them, as the children of Israel, and not slay them. Amen."... he noticed all of the blessings in his life. Then we taught the law of Chastity. After going through it he told of how he was living it with his girlfriend now and how it's enabled them to have a deeper love and trust and how it's been so much better than past relationships. After that we asked him about his baptism and if he had been thinking about it at all (he had previously dropped his first baptismal date because he felt like he needed to learn more). He said, "ya, I actually wanted to talk about that. I think I'm ready for baptism. What's the procedure?" So we're planning for that pretty soon. He reads the scriptures every day and really thinks about what he reads. He even reads additional things like the gospel principles manual to help him learn. It's a perfect example of just doing the simple things like coming to church and reading and praying and how those lead to blessings and to a testimony of the Book of Mormon and of Joseph Smith. Some other people I've taught that haven't gained a testimony didn't do these things. They didn't read the Book of Mormon, they didn't pray, and then they are surprised when they don't get the witness that we teach them about. I wish everyone would realize how great the Gospel of Jesus Christ is. It only brings happiness. It only brings peace. It only brings you closer to Heavenly Father. Every single one of the people I've taught that sincerely have read and sincerely have prayed and act on the truth they gain by coming to church have had the Spirit testify to them of the truth of the Gospel. I love the Gospel! 
Well I gotta get going but I love y'all and hope ya have a good one!
Elder Russell

No comments:

Post a Comment